Walhalla/Aberfeldy Weekend Trip

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

dank
Site Admin

Walhalla/Aberfeldy Weekend Trip

Post by dank »

Seems like there is a fair bit of interest to explore through this area.

I have been up into the area before and there is a lot of exciting terrain to suit all levels of experience.

At this stage I am not sure exactly how this trip will be rated or when exactly it will be. My zook is still a fair way off running and reliable so at this point in time I am going to speculate a date of around late january - february. There are some really Nice campsites by the Rivers in the area that can make for great cooling off and swimming.

Fuel may be an issue for some vehicles. The nearest petrol station is Moe. There used to be limited fuel at Rawsom/Erica but current info suggests that this is not the case anymore.
Greg

Re: Walhalla/Aberfeldy Weekend Trip

Post by Greg »

Rawson (i think) has a great country pub for meals etc...

The walhalla pub also does a good lunch.

If it doesn't turn into a full-on driving weekend, you could always check out the long-tunnel mines too - good little tourist activities.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

The Walhalla pub does a great Chicken Pama. Huge..
Site Admin

Post by dank »

I'm sure we can arrange to be in the area around dinner time :D

Actually come to think of it Walhalla has some very good camping in the town....would be good exposure for the public as well to see us out and about. The long tunnel gold mine is a very interesting tourist attraction so I'd be keen to possibly offer this as part of the weekend. The history in the area is amazing.

I'm happy to organise camping in/near town or out in the middle of nowhere...

The map image indicates roughly the area that I will be looking to explore over the weekend. The area north east of the dam wall has some pretty cool driving. A good mix.
Attachments
Walhalla Woods Pt FA 2006.jpg
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

I wouldn't mind having a look in the Long Tunnel mine and also the infamous cricket ground on top of the hill. (if it's still there?).

Bruce.
andrew_wale

Post by andrew_wale »

zookstir wrote:I wouldn't mind having a look in the Long Tunnel mine and also the infamous cricket ground on top of the hill. (if it's still there?).

Bruce.
If I am not on call etc, this sounds like a great trip.
Tried to drive to the cricket ground, but the track was seasonally closed. (this was a 2 years ago)
You can walk to the cricket ground if you're feeling keen.